COVID-19 is an infection that causes mild to severe respiratory problems often leading to death with no known cure and vaccine. This is caused by novel corona virus, SARS-CoV-2. Therefore, it is important to identify the symptoms of the illness and learn when to get tested and receive medical attention.
Symptoms Of COVID-19
Though many cases have come up with asymptomatic disposition, there are some common recognizable symptoms, which can tell you whether you have a chance of infection.
Major symptoms include – dry cough, fever and fatigue.
Additional symptoms may include –
- Sore throat
- Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting
- Loss of sense of taste and smell
- Breathing problem
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Body aches
Many of these symptoms are very similar to other respiratory illness and it is very difficult to ascertain the real cause.
What to Do If You Have Multiple of These Symptoms
- Isolate yourself and stay at home to stop spreading the infection in the community.
- Call your doctor. The doctor will instruct you on how to take care and what not to do. If not already tested, the doctor will arrange for administration of the COVID-19 test.
- Observe your symptoms and keep track when it started and what pattern it follows. If the condition starts worsening over time immediately seek medical help.
- Mild cases of infection can be treated at home. Eat nutritious food, drink plenty of water, and take a good rest. You can also take over-the-counter medication for your symptoms. Consult the doctor if already you are under some medication.
- There are two types of tests-
- Diagnostic test or swab test – a sterile swap is used to collect sample from your throat and nose to test for the presence of the corona virus.
- Antibody test – it detects the presence of particular antibodies to corona virus in your body. It also determines whether you already had the infection before.
If you don’t know where to take the test, either consult your doctor or search the Department of Public Health website for nearest testing center. If tested positive take prompt action.
How to Stop Spreading the Infection to Others
You have to be under home isolation once you confirm your symptoms. Only go out if medical attention is needed. Do not forget to wear a mask. You may use a cloth mask inside the house, but prepare N95 or KN95 face masks while going outside when absolutely necessary. You can buy the masks at Custom Earth Promos, an eco-friendly company at very affordable price. You can just order a bulk as you need to dispose of the used ones. Though they specialize in custom bags they also make top quality face masks.
Do not share your personal items with others. The probability of transmission is high in using objects used by the infected person.
Clean the frequently touched surfaces at house. For example- tables, door knobs, remotes, switches, mobile screen, etc. Lastly, don’t forget to wash your hands.